Monday 6 May 2013

May is for Moms: an interview with myself

Hello ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to my blog yet again. Tonight I am partaking in a three part linky party series in honor of Mother's Day next weekend. For full details of the party, as well as how you can join, please visit Not Your Average Crazy now and get writing.



So tonight's episode is an interview with myself. I have to answer a series of questions as asked by Amy from Not Your Average Crazy.

1. Before you ever even had children, how did you feel about being a mother?

Well for the longest time I didn't want children. Babies scared the absolute bejeezus out of me, and I hated the thought of being tied to a little person for the better part of my adult life. But then when I was 19, my niece was born and everything changed. Holding this perfect baby in my arms for the first time, I could see myself doing this for real one day. And while I wasn't in a hurry to become a parent, I knew that I had been put on this earth for one reason only, and that was to be someone's mum.



2. Since becoming a mother, what is something that has happened that you never thought would?

I think the biggest thing that has happened since I became a mum was how much I have calmed down as a person. Before Miss K was born I would jump from one drama to the next, making stupid decision after stupid decision. I would wear my poor family down with my constant meltdowns and various crises. But since becoming a mum, I've realised what is truly important in life, and that my actions don't just affect me. So in order to be a mother that I can be proud of, I've started acting like a real grown up. (Most of the time anyway. There are some supermarket aisles that just beg to be danced down.)

3. Is being a mother less difficult, more difficult or exactly how difficult you imagined?

In some ways it is exactly as difficult as I imagined, and in other ways it is more difficult. When people say that parenting is a full time job, they mean a 24/7 job. As in you never get a quiet toilet break, a hot cup of coffee, or privacy when you are getting dressed ever again. The parenting books also never tell you how to cope the first time your darling offspring tries to eat their own poo. (Yeah that has happened, and the appropriate action is to scream like you are on fire. It scares the hell out of them and gets them to drop everything.) But the best thing is that parenting is infinitely more rewarding than you can ever imagine, and that makes it all worthwhile.



4. What is your fondest memory of being a mother (so far)?

I think all the free hugs and kisses I get as Miss K's mum are the absolute best part of this job. Especially when I haven't begged for them. There are the hugs you get when the whole world has crashed down around your child (otherwise known as they fell down and scraped their knee), the hugs you get when they are tired and want you to take them to bed, the hugs you get because they are super happy, and the just because you're there hugs. I think my absolute favourite hugs are the ones when Miss K is trying to comfort me. I guess because these are the rarest hugs of all, they seem to be the sweetest.



5. If your children only learn one life lesson from you, what do you hope it is?

I think the most important thing I can teach Miss K is know what you want, and believe that you are worth it.


Well that's all the questions for now. If you tune in again the same time next week, hopefully there will be an interview with my mum here (I still have to ask her yet, wish me luck.) And I'll be back again tomorrow with another recipe Monday, so if you are lacking inspiration for what to cook for your family for dinner, tune in tomorrow for a delicious idea. 

Well until then, stay awesome, and don't forget to check out the rest of the wonderful mum posts over at Not Your Average Crazy now.

4 comments:

  1. That's a great lesson for kids to learn. More people should grow up knowing that. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, it was a tough question, as there are so many things I want to make sure my little one learns, but that just seemed to be important.

      Delete
  2. The hugs and the kisses are the best thing. Our little one woke me up with a HUGE wet kiss last weekend, just had to cuddle her like there wasn't a tomorrow for that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naww that sounds so cute. Miss K has started coming in every morning for a snuggle with me after breakfast. I love our early morning cuddles. Now if only I could get her to stop talking while I'm trying to sleep in I'd be happy :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...