Friday 11 May 2012

Happy to be her mum

Well Miss K is having an unusually long nap and I've got music blasting through my tiny earphones so what better time to write another post than now??

I've got another good excuse for leaving it so long between posts as the cold I mentioned that Miss K might have caught last week showed up with full fanfare this week, and between snotty noses and unexplainable crying sessions I've not had time to write much. But I must say that even though Miss K is in the throes of one of the worst colds I have ever suffered from, she is as always a delight to be around (excess fluids notwithstanding.) I've heard it said that the first child is always the easiest one, and I'm beginning to believe it too. It's almost like babies were designed like video games, the first one being for novices, who are still mastering which keys to press to carry out functions, and by the third and fourth child, you're dealing with stronger villains with more powerful weapons than you have ever encountered in all the earlier levels. Given that I don't plan to have any more children, having Miss K is almost like cracking a child's computer game and sitting back and smiling like you are the master of video games.

I've had lots of people tell me what a good girl my daughter is, and I'm always happy to remind them that they're not the ones who have to pull her off the television every time she tries to give the actors high fives and kisses. But all the normal naughty child stuff aside, I do have a very easy time as a mother. I hate to sound like I'm bragging, and I'm sure I'd piss off more than one mother with everything I'm saying here, but it's true. I've never had any real problems with bedtime, as once Miss K is snuggled up with her Elmo toy and listening to her mobile she's happy to chat away to herself and her toys until she is tired enough to fall asleep, something that usually happens between 6:30 and 7:30 every night. Eating is also something that came fairly easily to us despite a few choking incidents early on that seemed to scare the crap out of everyone within a 20 metre radius, and now that Miss K is weaned off her bottles, I think I can safely say we've passed through the real baby section and are now preparing for Miss K's time as a toddler.

I won't pretend that the past 14 months have been a pleasure cruise though, especially since I have a suspicion part of my reluctance to have another child is the fear that he or she might almost die just as easily as Miss K did at 2 weeks. I also dread having to deal with colic, teething, nappy rash and baby colds again. (Why do they refuse to make a cough syrup that is suitable for babies?) But given that Miss K was unexpected and caused a lot of sleepless nights spent worrying exactly how I was going to cope with being a single mum, I can say with the utmost of confidence that I'm happy my life took this surprise turn. (Despite the fact that my little sister calls Miss K a window licker) I'm even starting to look towards the future and will hopefully be going back to school before the middle of this year.

Well I'm done bragging for now, I should probably be doing something more productive right now than acting smug anyway. Like an impromptu dance around my lounge room to music by Prince. Stay awesome readers and as always, please feel free to post a comment, even if it's to say you are insanely jealous of my awesomely easy baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...