Saturday 11 January 2014

Secret Subject Swap - Fry up

Hello again my lovelies, another month has passed and it's time again for yet another Secret Subject Swap. For any of you who haven't heard of this phenomenon, each month 12 bloggers get together and swap topics with each other with thanks to Karen from Baking in a Tornado. Then on a pre-determined day we all release our posts at the same time so that the rest of you can enjoy. Before I get into the action, I'll introduce the other bloggers participating in the swap today. Once you have finished reading my slice of the fun, be sure to visit everyone else and share the love around.

http://www.BakingInATornado.com                     Baking In A Tornado
http://followmehome.shellybean.com                   Follow me home . . .
http://themomisodes.com                                  The Momisodes
http://thethreegerbers.blogspot.ch/                     Confessions of a part-time working mom
http://aworkingmomswhoas.com/                        A Working Mom’s “Whoas”’
http://www.eviljoyspeaks.wordpress.com              Evil Joy Speaks
http://xcartwight.blogspot.com                            Go Momma!
http://www.juiceboxconfession.com                     Juicebox Confession
http://stacysewsandschools.wordpress.com/          Stacy Sews and Schools
http://spatulasonparade.blogspot.com                  Spatulas on Parade
http://www.smalltalkmama.com                          Small Talk Mama

So today my topic is You have the opportunity to meet with any celebrity for coffee, dead or alive: who do you choose, where do you go, what do you talk about?
It was submitted by: Confessions of a part-time working mom     

So anyone who knows me will know how much I love to talk. I love it so much I kept getting work in call centres so I had an excuse to talk all day without anyone being allowed to tell me to shut up. (Ok neither of those are true facts, I got the jobs because I'm not fussy, and I still got told to shut up ALL the time.) But one thing I find that goes great with talking is coffee. Give me a cup of java and someone to talk to and I am happy as a pig in muck. Given my love for both of these things, I think the best person to go on a coffee date with would be Stephen Fry.


I am hoping desperately that you have all heard of this gentleman, and aren't all just staring at your computer screens blankly, as Stephen Fry has had his fingers in so many pies that surely even people who don't watch television must have heard of him. Good friend of comic geniuses like Hugh Laurie and Emma Thompson (and a comic genius in his own right too), writer, actor, director, and the owner of a golden voice, who lends his talents to kids cartoons and video games alike. (For any players of the game LittleBigPlanet you are looking at the narrator of all the games right here.) He is the quiz master of QI, one of my favourite quiz shows of all time, and he has worked alongside my future husband David Boreanaz on the set of Bones which is just a bonus in my book. He is also vocal about his struggles with depression and suicide, which is an important topic for anyone to understand.

Now for our coffee date I'd chose somewhere quiet and out of the way for us to meet up and meld minds. I'd love somewhere in London with low mood lighting and classic movie posters on the walls. Chandeliers would be an added bonus. We'd get a corner table out of the way of any other customers who come in and I'd order a cappuccino (because I am completely unimaginitive and refuse to try coffee without milk) and Stephen would have....is it wrong to assume that he'd have tea because he's British? Well given this is my coffee date and not his I'm going to give him a short black. (Apologies to the real Stephen Fry if I've gotten your order wrong, feel free to correct me :-D) Once we've gotten our drinks we can stop with the small talk that always happens when you don't have a cup in your hand and get on with the real conversing. The topics will be vast and varied, as I have chosen one of the most well rounded people I know of to accompany me in this fantasy. We can talk about current technology, (Stephen is a lover of all things Apple and was one of the first people in Britain to own the Apple Macintosh computer back in the eighties.) literature, the evolution and then devolution of the English language, Oscar Wilde, and anything else we can think of. I will try my hardest to make him swear too, because if there is one thing I love, it's hearing people with a posh British accent drop the F bomb. It is almost like the auditory version of finding a unicorn. 

The date would only end when the barista kicked us out because they need to close up for the evening. We would be sad for our chat to end as there would still be so much that we hadn't discussed, but we would button up our winter jackets and head out into the chilly London air, I to the airport because I really can't afford to stay in London for longer than one coffee date at a time, and Stephen to his flat. The world would seem slightly flat and boring after my one chat with Stephen, and I could only hope that I was able to add a little sunshine into his life too, even if only for one afternoon. I would remember my afternoon with my hero for the rest of my life, and would slowly bore and alienate all of my friends at parties as I bang on and on forever about the day I shared a coffee with Stephen Fry. So perhaps it's best for my social life such as it is that this all just happened in my head and not in real life.

Well that's all from me for now, be sure to visit the rest of the swappers if you haven't already, and be sure to tune in again next week when I take part in a new series that Karen has cooked up for us. 

12 comments:

  1. I love the amount of thought you put into this. You made me wish that you actually could meet him someday. I think he'd enjoy talking to you as much as I enjoy reading you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he would enjoy himself. He does seem to enjoy talking almost as much as I do. Now all I need to do is figure out how to convince him of this... Any ideas?

      Delete
  2. I admit I had to google this Stephen guy! Oh, OK, he made "a fish called Wanda". I didn't appreciate when the big rock fell onto the cute little doggie! Please tell him that when you hook up next time!

    Just like Karen I want you to actually fly to London and have coffee with him some day! On your way back stop in Switzerland for some chocolate, OK?

    Thanks for letting me eavesdrop from the next bistro table - yes, I was the one hiding behind her notebook ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched A Fish Called Wanda in years. I really must hunt that out now. I'll be sure to pass your review on to him the next time I see him. Right before I come over for chocolate. I'll never say no to chocolate, especially Swiss chocolate.

      I thought I heard someone giggling from behind that notebook, you should have come over and said hi.

      Delete
  3. Great prompt and it would have taken me a long time to decide on who I would have coffee with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it did take me about a week to actually decide on Stephen Fry, I was originally going to say Oscar Wilde, but whenever I picture Oscar Wilde, I always see Stephen Fry anyway as he was the actor who played him in the movie Wilde, so I figured he would be an even better date. Especially with him being more alive than Oscar Wilde and all.

      Delete
  4. Awesome job! I could see this really happening. I hope you one day get to meet him and have that cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, it really would be a dream come true.

      Delete
  5. I want you to have that coffee date. I hope it goes as planned. And I know you'd have so much to talk about - how cool would that be?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be amazing. I would just have to make sure I don't get tongue tied. How embarrassing would that be?

      Delete
  6. I wasn't sure who Stephen Fry was (hanging my head), but I figured it out after a search or two. Your answer to the Swap was so passionate that I do hope you get to meet him one day. My daughter always said that she would date anyone with a British accent; that even fighting would be beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling there would be some people who wouldn't realise who I was talking about, but he's one of those people who have been around forever, you're sure to have seen him, even if you didn't realise it at the time. I love British accents. It's one of the things I miss about living in the city, not too many English people move to Australia to live in the country areas, they can do that at home.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...